over 5 years ago
In an ever-increasing technological society, employers and recruiters often find potential candidates using social media including LinkedIn.
As you’re all aware, LinkedIn is a fantastic way to network and increase your chances of finding your dream job. As a Senior Recruitment Consultant at TRP Recruitment, I constantly see mistakes on LinkedIn profiles day in, day out – so here are some common blunders and how to avoid them.
1. An inappropriate and unprofessional profile photo.
Despite your perfect employment experience and impressive profile, your photo may be the reason for you not to be considered for your dream job.
Do prospective employers or recruiters really want to see pictures of you:
with a drink in your hand?
with a snake around your neck?
on a mountain?
with someone else’s hand on your shoulder?
The answer is no. We have actually come across these and many more.
- Choose a head and shoulders shot of yourself dressed smart as if you would if you were at work. First impressions do count!
2. Out-of-date employment records.
Many recruiters will look at your LinkedIn profile as well as your application so it is imperative that your employment information is coherent across both your CV and profile.
- Do pay attention to detail and check that your employment information is up-to-date and matches what is written on your CV.
3. Out-of-date contact details.
If your phone number and email address is not up-to-date, how do you expect recruiters or prospective employers to contact you in response to your application?
- Make sure your contact details are correct.
Don’t be hasty when applying for a job. Pay close attention to detail and use this checklist to fully utilise your LinkedIn profile.
Consultant: Val May
Phone: 020 7433 2539